“Inspiration usually comes during work, rather than before it.” - Madeleine L’Engle
The Coffee House Writer’s Group is a wildly successful and popular critique group that started just outside of Los Angeles, California. With almost 1000 members across three states, CHWG is a community where we writers can find support and camaraderie in the otherwise lonely pursuit of our craft. You can find the calendar of meetings and events for your nearest chapter by clicking on the buttons above.
The group operates a little differently than many critique groups – members are encouraged to bring a short piece of writing to read out loud at each meeting (although it’s not mandatory). Critiques are done verbally, based on how well the writing stands up to being read out loud.
Between meetings there is a very active Facebook group as well as a Facebook fan page and a Twitter Page. We also have community events, writing seminars, parties and readings in addition to critique meetings.
Things to expect:
- A friendly group of supportive writers to hang out with on a regular basis
- A safe supportive environment for new writers and veterans. We encourage all kinds of writing (although we do ask that you keep what you read out loud to a PG-13 rating since we do meet in public venues)
- great feedback on your writing – we have attracted regular members who are published writers, writing teachers, editors and other professionals.
Things that you will not find here:
- Judgement calls and bashing. Nope. We maintain a very supportive environment – we all have to start somewhere and even the best of writers got their beginnings some place….
- Homework. We do not publish files to be reviewed before the meetings, nor do we insist that people prepare critiques before the meetings.
- Drama. Let’s leave the drama on the pages or our stories.